A On line casino in Enid, OK???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all of the bureaucratic process using the Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an online casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you probably run into people you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping on the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying with the hotels in the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared to be a slot machine game. We have all seen the small digital bingo card on the top corner with the display screen of the video slot. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed using Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino is only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in the trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part of the Cherokee Outlet, occupied with the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion with the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to boost infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent of the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions like family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos give a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside with the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling can be an accepted means for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money which is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the subsequent businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative facets of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and other policies affecting Native Americans by more info handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase in the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it results in tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling and better stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling illuminates the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we might not want to cope with?